Home Schooling in Mississippi as an Alternative to Public School Education
Parents who wish to home school their children should contact their local School Attendance Officer (SAO) for information and requirements.
Every family who wishes to home school compulsory school age children must complete an enrollment form with the local School Attendance Officer for every year the child home schools. This is in accordance with the Compulsory School Attendance Law §37-13-91(2) (c). Parents should keep a copy of the enrollment form for their records.
Home school enrollment must be completed by September 15 of each school year. You must wait until the current school year has ended before enrolling a child in home school for an upcoming school year.
Recommendations for home school parents/guardians:
- Withdraw the student from school if currently enrolled in a public-school district.
- Complete home school enrollment form with the local School Attendance Officer.
- Review the Mississippi College- and Career-Readiness Standards (MCCRS). The MCCRS provide clear expectations of what a student should know and be able to do at each grade level. Aligning instruction with these standards and competencies will ensure a smoother transition should the child return to public school.
- Maintain a portfolio for each child that contains samples of activities, assignments, projects, and assessments, as well as a log of books and materials used. Include results of any national assessments
- Contact potential colleges and universities to learn what is required for admission
Home School Enrollment Form
Download the Home School Certificate of Enrollment form, complete it, and return it to your local School Attendance Officer (SAO). Submit an original form signed in blue ink. Locate your SAO on the school attendance officer contact list. Please contact your SAO either by email or phone to obtain the return mailing address.
Information for Parent/Guardians
- Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Home School
- Mississippi State Board of Education Home School Policy
- Home School - MS Code 37-13-91
- SAO Supervisor Regions by County