Mississippi’s English Learner (EL) population is growing rapidly, with the state now serving more than 12,100 identified EL students. In response to this growth, as well as requests from districts new to serving EL students, we are launching a series of recorded webinars designed to provide administrators, general education teachers, EL tutors and other educators with information on how to effectively serve this population.
For questions regarding EL services, as well as requests for on-site large or small-group professional development, please email Sandy Elliott at email@example.com. Check back often for new resources!
Mississippi Seal of Biliteracy
The purpose of the Mississippi Seal of Biliteracy policy is to establish minimum criteria for Local Education Agencies (LEAs) in awarding Seals of Biliteracy. For more information regarding the State Board Policy, Guidelines, and the process of awarding and recognizing students who are eligible to receive a Seal of Biliteracy, please visit the Mississippi Seal of Biliteracy webpage.
Tools and Supports
- NEW Supporting High-Quality Instruction for English Learners in Onsite, Hybrid, and Remote Learning Environments
- NEW English Learner Parent Guide: English, Arabic, Chinese, Spanish, Vietnamese
- Progress Checklist for English Learners
- Guidance on Extended Distance Learning for English Learners
- English Learner Guidelines: Regulations, Funding Guidance and Instructional Supports
- EL Professional Development Request
- Language Service Plan (Revised 2018)
- How to Write a Language Service Plan
- MTSS Documentation Packet: Appendix C: Parent Reading Questionnaire (English and Spanish)
- Newcomer Kit introduction
- Newcomer orientation plan template
- Communication cards for elementary students
- Communication cards for secondary students
- Family welcome sheet
- Sentence stem cards
- Visual schedule
EL Webinars and Literacy Tips
- Identifying EL Students (Aug. 2017)
- Vocabulary Development (Sept. 2017)
- Comprehension (Oct. 2017)
- Phonological Awareness and Phonics (Nov. 2017)
- Fluency (Jan. 2018)
- Other Webinars
- English Learner Check-In Webinars
Family Guides for Student Success
English Learner Updates
Please submit your name and Mississippi school/district email to Subscribe to the EL Listserv.