The purpose of the Mississippi Seal of Biliteracy policy is to establish minimum criteria for Local Education Agencies (LEAs) in awarding Seals of Biliteracy. The Seal of Biliteracy recognizes and awards students who have attained proficiency in one or more world languages and English by high school graduation. The Seal of Biliteracy demonstrates attainment of biliteracy for students, employers, and postsecondary institutions; and it signals a student's readiness for college and career and for engagement as a global citizen.
Participation in the Mississippi Department of Education's Seal of Biliteracy shall be determined by each LEA and will begin during the 2019-2020 school year. Recognition for demonstrating a level of biliteracy shall be indicated on the final high school transcript for students.
The purpose of the Mississippi Seal of Biliteracy Guidelines is to provide assistance, examples, and resources to local school districts on the process of awarding and recognizing students who are eligible to receive a Seal of Biliteracy.
- Mississippi Seal of Biliteracy State Board Policy
- Mississippi Seal of Biliteracy Guidelines
- Mississippi Seal of Biliteracy Supplemental Resource for Mississippi Student Information System Reporting
Participating School Districts:
- Pascagoula-Gautier School District 2019
- Petal School District (Forrest County) 2020
- Philadelphia Public School District (Neshoba County) 2020
- DeSoto County School District 2020