The Office of Intervention Services (Pre-K – 12) supports educators and parents who are working with struggling learners, including students who are learning English as a second language. This office is focused on improving academic and behavioral outcomes for students. Staff coordinate the local implementation of policies and procedures and provide professional development on Multi-Tiered System of Supports (MTSS) for school-based teams, administrators, staff, and parents.
The office also offers guidance and professional development opportunities for educators and parents related to intervention selection, data-based decision making, evaluation, progress monitoring, dyslexia, gifted learners, and English learners to ensure all students graduate high school ready for college and career.
Three Tier Instructional Model
The Three Tier Instructional Model is a part of State Board Policy 41.1). This model is designed to meet the needs of every student and consists of three tiers of instruction:
- Tier 1: Quality classroom instruction based on Mississippi standards.
- Tier 2: Focused supplemental instruction.
- Tier 3: Intensive interventions specifically designed to meet the individual needs of students.
If Tier 1 and 2 instruction is unsuccessful, students must be referred to the Teacher Support Team (TST). The TST is the local team responsible for interventions developed at Tier 3. Each school must have a TST implemented in accordance with the process developed by the Mississippi Department of Education.
Family Guides for Student Success
Academic Tools and Supports
- UPDATED MS Approved Academic Interventions
- NEW The Role of Intervention Services
- Academic Intervention List: Video and Slide Deck
- Teacher Growth Rubric Crosswalk
- 3rd Grade Reading Summative Assessment Guidance
- Available Math Screeners
- MSIS Intervention Screen: Video and Slide Deck
- NEW 2022-2023 MTSS Professional Development Request
- English Learner Resources
- Evidence-Based Programs
MTSS Tools and Supports
- NEW MTSS Virtual Office Hours Calendar
- NEW MTSS Self-Evaluation Tool
- NEW Parent and Family Guide to a Multi-Tiered System of Supports (MTSS)
- NEW MTSS Documentation Checklist
- MTSS Flowchart for PreK-12th Grade
- Intervention Scheduling During a Pandemic
- MTSS Guidance Document
- MTSS Documentation Packet
- Appendix C: Parent Reading Questionnaire (English and Spanish)
- MTSS 4-12 Screening Chart
- MTSS Flowchart for Pre-K – 12
- MTSS FAQs
- MTSS LBPA Flowchart
- MTSS Digital Resources
- MTSS Summer Webinar Series
- UPDATED MTSS Quick Reference Guide