Skip to main content

High contrast

Text Resize

Skip to Content

Toggle Site Search Icon Search
Clear search textbox
Report Bug

Teaching and Leading FAQ

Educator Licensure

How do I check the status of my application?

You can check your application status by logging into the Mississippi Educator Licensure System 2.0 (ELMS 2.0). The processing time for all licensure requests will be provided on the “Home” screen of your ELMS 2.0 account. You are able to view all pending applications on the “My Credentials” screen. You will receive an email notification that your license has been issued. Also, if you are missing document(s) needed for issuance, you will receive a correspondence letter detailing the additional requested documentation.

How will I know if my transcript(s), test score(s), application, etc. have been received by the Division of Educator Licensure?

You may view all documents received by logging into the Mississippi Educator Licensure System 2.0 (ELMS 2.0) and clicking on “Correspondence” located on the homepage of your account.

How do I upgrade my license to a different class?

You can apply to upgrade your license by submitting an online application through your Mississippi Educator Licensure Management System 2.0 (ELMS 2.0) account.  Also, please mail an official sealed transcript or contact your institution’s Registrar to request the submission of an e-script through E-Scrip Safe verifying the degree conferred.

How can I add endorsements to my license?

Supplemental endorsements can be added to your license several different ways depending on the requested endorsement. The supplemental endorsement options and requirements are located on pages 72-77 in the Licensure Guidelines.

I am a retired educator. What is the process for keeping my license current?

Retired educators receiving benefits through the Public Employees Retirement System (PERS) do not have to complete CEU credits or college credits. This benefit is only applicable with an expired license. All licenses expire June 30th. On July 1st of the expiration year of your license, contact Mississippi Public Employee Retirement System (PERS)  and request a confirmation of retirement letter. The confirmation letter can be uploaded in the Educator Licensure Management 2.0 account on your “Correspondence” page.  You will also need to submit an online application requesting the reinstatement of your expired licensure.

I am licensed in another state and would like to obtain a Mississippi license, what documents should be submitted for review? *Please note that the review of reciprocity applications may take longer than the normal turnaround time.*

  • An original valid out-of-state educator’s license.  If the state you have obtained your educator’s license will no longer provide original certificates, you will need to upload your valid out-of-state educator’s license in the Mississippi Educator Licensure System 2.0 (ELMS 2.0).
  • An original document of the subject area assessment(s) required for certification by the issuing state
  • All official, sealed transcripts
  • An application. The application for reciprocity can be submitted online by creating a Mississippi Educator Licensure System 2.0 (ELMS 2.0) account or returning a paper application with the rest of your documents).

I received an email stating that my license has been issued, but I have not received it in the mail yet. When should I expect the license in the mail?

The Division of Educator Licensure no longer sends licenses to educators via postal mail. You may now access the original license online using the following steps:

  • Go to the Division of Educator Licensure’s Homepage
  • Scroll down to Educator Licensure Resources
  • Click Educator Licensure Management System (ELMS)
  • Go to the Click Here to Access the License Look-up box and Click License Look-up
  • Type in your Social Security Number (SSN) only with no spaces or dashes
  • Click Search Educators
  • Click View Virtual License beside your name

Who is the contact for questions regarding Orientation to School Leaders (OSL) or School Executive Management Institute (SEMI) credits?

Please contact a member of our team at 601-359-3631 for questions related to OSLs and SEMIs.

How do I request a copy of my Praxis or National Teacher’s Exam (NTE) scores?

To request documentation of test scores that are no longer available for request through the testing company, you may submit a written request via postal mail to:

Mississippi Department of Education
Division of Educator Licensure
P. O. Box 771
Jackson, MS 39205

Please include the following information:

  • Social Security Number or Educator ID
  • Date of Birth
  • Address
  • Phone Number

If your Praxis scores are less than 10 years old, please contact the Educational Testing Service (ETS) at 1-800-772-9476

How do I renew my license?

A Mississippi Educator license can be renewed with coursework, CEU’s, SEMI’s, or Completion of the National Board process achieved within the renewal cycle of the educator’s license.

  • Class A: 10 CEU’s, 6 hours of coursework, 5 CEU’s and 3 hours of coursework, or Completion of the National Board process
  • Class AA - AAAA: 5 CEU’s, 3 hours of coursework, or Completion of the National Board process
  • Career Level Administrator:  70 SEMI’s, 6 hours of coursework, 35 SEMI’s and 3 hours of coursework, Completion of a specialist or doctoral degree in educational administration/leadership, or Completion of the National Board process

How do I reinstate my license?

A Mississippi Educator license can be reinstated with the following:

  • Coursework (6 hours for Class A - Class AAAA) within the last five years from the time the application is submitted for reinstatement
  • A valid, out-of-state license
  • Submission of retirement verification letter from PERS (for retired educators)

If an educator wants to use CEU’s to reinstate a license, he or she will first need to apply for a one-year reinstatement.  When applying to reinstate the license back to a standard with CEU’s, the educator will need to apply for a four-year reinstatement.