The Office of Intervention Services (Pre-K – 12) supports educators and parents who are working with struggling learners, including students who are learning English as a second language. This office is focused on improving academic and behavioral outcomes for students. Staff coordinate the local implementation of policies and procedures and provide professional development on Multi-Tiered System of Supports (MTSS) for school-based teams, administrators, staff, and parents.
The office also offers guidance and professional development opportunities for educators and parents related to intervention selection, data-based decision making, evaluation, progress monitoring, dyslexia, gifted learners, and English learners to ensure all students graduate high school ready for college and career.
Three Tier Instructional Model
The Three Tier Instructional Model is a part of State Board Policy 41.1). This model is designed to meet the needs of every student and consists of three tiers of instruction:
- Tier 1: Quality classroom instruction based on Mississippi standards.
- Tier 2: Focused supplemental instruction.
- Tier 3: Intensive interventions specifically designed to meet the individual needs of students.
If Tier 1 and 2 instruction is unsuccessful, students must be referred to the Teacher Support Team (TST). The TST is the local team responsible for interventions developed at Tier 3. Each school must have a TST implemented in accordance with the process developed by the Mississippi Department of Education.
Tools and Supports
- NEW MS Approved Academic Interventions
- NEW Academic Intervention List: Video and Slide Deck
- NEW Distance Learning MTSS Professional Development Request Form
- NEW Summer 2021 PD Request Form
- NEW Teacher Growth Rubric Crosswalk
- NEW 3rd Grade Reading Summative Assessment Guidance
- NEW Available Math Screeners
- NEW MS Approved Behavior Interventions
- NEW Behavior Intervention List: Video and Slide Deck
- NEW MSIS Intervention Screen: Video and Slide Deck
- MTSS Professional Development Request (Spring 2021)
- English Learner Resources
- Evidence-Based Programs
PBIS Tiered Fidelity Inventory
- NEW TFI Online Scoring and Action Planning Tool (xlsx)
- NEW TFI Online Scoring and Action Planning Tool Walkthrough Webinar
Family Guides for Student Success
- Family Guides for Student Success
- Family Guides for Student Success (Spanish versions)
- Family Guides for Student Success Training Materials
Individualized Reading Plan (IRP)
- IRP/MTSS Alignment Checklist
- LBPA and IRP FAQs (2020)
- Literacy-Based Promotion Act
- Literacy-Based Promotion Act Webinar (October 2020)
- NEW MTSS Flowchart for PreK-12th Grade (Feb 2021)
- Intervention Scheduling During a Pandemic
- MTSS Guidance Document (June 2020)
- NEW MTSS Documentation Packet (Revised August 2021)
- Appendix C: Parent Reading Questionnaire (English and Spanish)
- MTSS 4-12 Screening Chart
- MTSS Flowchart for Pre-K – 12
- MTSS FAQs (2017)
- MTSS LBPA Flowchart (2020)
- MTSS Digital Resources
- MTSS Summer Webinar Series (2020)
- MTSS Quick Reference Guide
- Parent and Family Guide to Understanding RtI