Section 1: Vision, Mission, Standards, Philosophy
1.1 Vision statement (School Library Guide p. 7)
Create collaborative relationships between school librarians and classroom teachers which transforms the school library program into a support system that strengthens the curriculum by bridging the information literacy gap.
1.2 Mission Statement (School Library Guide p. 7)
The mission of Mississippi’s school library programs is to assist in providing a quality education for every child by:
- Encouraging lifelong information literacy and learning through reading and inquiry.
- Providing an inviting, dynamic environment in which students and staff become learners capable of accessing, evaluating, applying, and sharing information independently.
- Providing real and virtual access to appropriate, high-quality resources (print/non-print and digital formats) and services that support and enhance teaching, literacy, and learning during and outside the school day.
- Participating in curriculum development and design of learning activities.
- Facilitating professional development for the learning community.
1.3 AASL National School Library Standards (School Library Guide p.7)
The American Association of School Librarians’ (AASL) Standards for the 21st Century Learner offer a vision for teaching and learning to guide our profession.
- Links to AASL Tools
- AASL Standards and ISTE Standards for Students and Educators Crosswalk
- AASL Standards and Future Ready Librarians Crosswalk
- AASL Standards and Google Code Crosswalk
- AASL Standards and Next Gen Science Crosswalk
1.4 Intellectual Freedom (School Library Guide p. 9)
Intellectual freedom is a prerequisite to effective and responsible citizenship in a democracy and is one of the core values of the library profession. Intellectual Freedom should be part of the district’s approved policies regarding the selection and challenged materials.
1.5 Freedom to Read (School Library Guide p. 9)
The Freedom to Read statement provides a reminder that open communication is necessary in a free society and creative culture. Librarians help ensure that students have access to information covering a wide range of issues and viewpoints.