Skip to main content

Skip to Content

Report Bug

Alternate Route Programs

Completing an alternate route program is a required step for an individual who holds a bachelor's degree (non-education) and would like to transition into teaching but lacks the certification or license. Currently there are four methods to obtaining certification through the Alternate Route. The Alternate Route Teacher programs are listed below:

All three programs have the following components:

  • Testing 
  • Training program or coursework
  • One-year teaching internship

These are the steps you need to take for alternate route certification:

1. Decide what subject and age level you want to teach. This decision will help you choose which alternate route program will work for you.

2. All programs require testing:

  • Minimum required passing score on all sections of the Praxis CORE, 21 or higher on the ACT/SAT equivalent, or 3.0 overall GPA on a baccalaureate transcript or last 60 hours course credit as established by the State Board of Education
  • Praxis II: Subject Area Test in the area you want to teach
  • Foundations of Reading (applicable to Elementary and Special Education endorsements only)

Please note: Each program offers specific subject areas.

3. You need to choose an alternate route program. Many candidates choose a program based on these criteria:

  • geographical location of the program
  • subject areas offered
  • cost and time commitment
  • internship requirements
  • grade level
  • your personal academic skills and professional background

4. Once you have successfully completed your testing you must enroll in an alternate route program and complete the training or coursework required. You will then be ready for your initial alternate license and internship.

Submit to the Office of Educator Licensure a completed licensure application, an official transcript showing a bachelor's degree (non-education), your original Praxis scores and proof of alternate route enrollment.

5. The internship is your first year of teaching. Mentoring will be provided during the internship. You will be paid based on your bachelor's degree status as a first-year teacher. The internship period will be provisional based upon successful completion of the school year.

6. Upon completion of the internship, you are ready to apply for your five-year standard teaching license. Submit a completed licensure application and proof of internship completion through the MECCA licensure system. Please review the Licensure Application Checklist for more information on the supporting documents required for your request.