The mission of the Office of Procurement is to facilitate the procurement of goods and services necessary for the effective and efficient operation of the Mississippi Department of Education (MDE). It is the responsibility of our office to maintain and ensure compliance with regulatory guidelines and internal control procedures, to conduct business with the highest level of support, ethical standards, fairness, and transparency.
The Mississippi Department of Education (MDE) purchasing policies and procedures only applies to the department and its special schools: Mississippi School of the Arts, Mississippi School for the Blind, and Mississippi School for the Deaf.
The local school districts for Mississippi will comply with school district purchasing policies and procedures, as well as purchasing statutes found in MS Code 1972, Annotated, Section 31-7-13 as it relates to governing authorities. Should you have purchasing questions pertaining to your school district, contact the Office of School Financial Services at 601-359-3294 or the State Auditor's Office, Technical Assistance Department at 1-800-321-1275.
If you are interested in conducting business with a school district, please contact each school district individually.
The goal of this website is to better educate the MDE staff of the established purchasing and contract procedures, regulations and guidelines, which will assist all departments in planning ahead. Please don’t forget to include our office in the BEGINNING of the process so that we can all do our part to protect the agency.
What is Procurement’s role?
Our office provides support to program offices in accordance with:
- State and Federal Laws
- The Mississippi Board of Education Policies
- The Mississippi Agency Accounting Policies and Procedurals Manual (MAAPP)
- The Mississippi Department of Education Employee Policies and Procedures Manual
- The Public Procurement Review Board (PPRB) Rules and Regulations
How do we assist?
- Review and approve personal and professional services contracts which are under the purview of PPRB
- Review and approve grant methodologies and the discretionary and competitive grant awards entered into by the department
- Responsible for State purchasing requests
- Provide technical assistance and training to Department staff
- Administer the State Procurement Card Program