How to Submit a Completed Application
All applications and supporting documentation must be submitted electronically through the educator’s assigned Educator Licensure Management System (ELMS) account. No documents should be submitted via postal mail.
Licenses will be valid from the day the completed application packet is received and validated by the Division of Educator Licensure. A completed application packet includes the licensure application and all supporting documentation required for your requested license type. Applications that are submitted without supporting documents will be considered incomplete and the educator will be emailed a “requirements” letter stating which documents are needed to process the licensure request. Please review the Licensure Application Checklist to identify the documents required for obtaining licensure in your desired area of certification.
Electronic submission of certain supporting documents is available through your user account in the Educator Licensure Management System (ELMS). Electronic submission of supporting documents excludes official transcripts and licensure test score reports. Transcripts must be submitted electronically directly from the institution and licensure test score reports directly from the appropriate testing company. All original documents to be used as part of the licensure application review process must be scanned and then uploaded to your ELMS account as a Portable Document Format (PDF) file, captured using the camera on your cellular device, or by utilizing free software applications available for download that are compatible with most smartphone models. When capturing a photograph of the document to be submitted, please be sure to remove any content and/or extra spacing that is not part of the document. This should be done prior to document upload to not obstruct access to information pertinent to reviewing and processing your licensure request.
Educator Licensure Management System (ELMS)
All educators are encouraged to apply for licensure requests online through the Educator Licensure Management System (ELMS). ELMS is the fastest, most secure way to submit your application and supporting documents to the Division of Educator Licensure. ELMS is accessible through the Mississippi Department of Education (MDE) website at https://www.mdek12.org. Important - Please create an ELMS account prior to sending any supporting documentation to the Division of Educator Licensure. If you are applying for your initial license, please allow your institution to submit an online recommendation prior to creating your ELMS account. Your ELMS account will provide you with your Educator ID number and allow you to upload certain supporting documents for your application.
The Division of Educator Licensure cannot, by law, process any requests without receipt of an official completed licensure application submitted by the prospective or practicing educator. The licensure application submitted to the MDE Division of Educator Licensure will expire 180 days from the date it is received, and date stamped by the Division of Educator Licensure.
- Some licensure requests require the submission of an institutional recommendation prior to the submission of an application, such as initial and standard certifications by traditional and alternate routes as well as endorsements to be added by an approved program.
- Most licensure applications are available for submission through your ELMS account.
- If the application is not available in ELMS, you may submit a paper application by uploading it in your ELMS account.
- Please ensure all sections of the paper application are completed and legible to prevent the delay of processing your request.
All transcripts from all institutions must be submitted directly by the university or college electronically in a secure electronic format via National Student Clearinghouse, Parchment, or any other transcript exchange service provider. For efficient document-to-applicant verification, please request that the institution include the following information as part of the official transcript: 1) your date of birth 2) the last four digits of your social security and 3) your first and last name as it appears in your ELMS account. Transcripts uploaded in your ELMS account will not be accepted for licensure review.
Electronically submitted transcripts
- The Office of Educator Licensure accepts electronic transcripts through Parchment, National Student Clearinghouse, or any other transcript exchange service provider.
- This is the fastest and most secure way to get your transcripts to the Division of Educator Licensure.
- Electronic transcripts may be transmitted by the university or college to firstname.lastname@example.org. This email address is used for the purpose of submitting official transcripts only.
- Please note that academic transcripts submitted to any other MDE email inbox will not be processed and applicants should only use the above designated email address to avoid delay of receipt of transcript and application processing.
- Applicants are responsible for having all transcripts representing degrees earned outside of the United States, as well as any other correspondence, translated and evaluated by an evaluation agency prior to submission of a licensure application to the Mississippi Department of Education. Please submit a detailed course-by-course foreign credential evaluation report. Information regarding acceptable evaluation agencies may be accessed at www.naces.org (click on “Choose An Agency” to gain access to contact information for those listed as “Current Members”). The Office of Educator Licensure currently accepts electronic evaluation reports from World Education Services (WES) and International Education Evaluations (IEE).
Official Test Scores
All test scores required for certification must be submitted electronically from the testing company. Photocopies or scores reports uploaded to your ELMS accounts are not accepted at this time.
Praxis and Foundations of Reading Score Reports
- If you test within the state of Mississippi, your test score results are automatically reported to the MDE.
- To ensure successful retrieval of scores automatically reported to the MDE, please be sure to include your full and correct social security number.
- If you test out of state, please designate the MDE as a score recipient during the test registration process.
SAT or ACT Scores
- ACT scores can be electronically submitted directly from ACT to the Division of Educator Licensure
Registration and additional information regarding Mississippi Praxis assessment(s) can be found at: https://www.ets.org/praxis/ms/requirements.
Registration and additional information for the Foundations of Reading test can be found at: http://www.ms.nesinc.com/.
Professional development documentation includes continuing education units (CEUS), official transcripts, SEMI credits and national board certification.
- CEU certificates, American Speech Language and Hearing Association (ASHA) transcripts, and national board letters can be uploaded in your ELMS account.
- When uploading CEU certificates, please review the correspondence page of your ELMS account to ensure all applicable certificates totaling the correct amount of CEU credits for your class type are successfully uploaded prior to submitting your renewal application.
- Please upload each CEU certificate one time. Duplicate certificates will not be counted towards the renewal of your license and will delay processing your request.
- For professional development training sponsored by a CEU granting college, university, or community college, please ensure the CEU certificate displays the name of the institution as well as the CEU value as opposed to contact hours.
- SEMI credits are sent to the Division of Educator Licensure via your ELMS accounts by the SEMI provider(s). The certificates do not need to be submitted electronically, unless otherwise requested.
- If you are submitting an official transcript as a part of your professional development, please follow the instruction listed under “Official Transcripts”.
Other forms and/or Supporting Documents
All forms required for specific licensure types can be located here. Please review the Licensure Application Checklist to ensure you have all required documentation necessary to submit a completed application for evaluation. Note: Only the current version of the respective forms below will be accepted for licensure application review and processing. To not delay the review and processing of your licensure request, please only use the forms provided on the webpage.
- Fill all forms out in its entirety.
- If you did not submit the Verification of Lawful Presence (VLP) form and required identification with a previously submitted licensure request, it must be uploaded with your next most immediate licensure application submission.
- Some forms must be notarized or embossed. Please read the instructions of the selected form(s) prior to submitting it to the Division of Educator Licensure. If the form requires an embossed seal, please ensure it is visible on the uploaded document.