Skip to main content

Skip to Content

Report Bug

Alternative Education/High School Equivalency

Alternative Education

The MDE request that all school districts complete a Needs Assessment for their Alternative Education Program by June 15, 2024. Please follow the link below.

Please fill out the following student compilation data and email the excel document to:

Click here to retrieve the student compilation data form. 

The alternative education program, as described in Section 37-13-92 of the Mississippi Code requires local school districts to establish, maintain or operate in connection with the regular programs of said school district, an alternative school program or behavior modification program as defined by the State Board of Education for, but not limited to, the following categories of compulsory school age students:

  1. Any compulsory school age child, who has been suspended for more than ten (10) days or expelled from school, except for any students expelled for possession of a weapon or other felonious conduct.
  2. Any compulsory school age child referred to such alternative school based upon documented need for placement in the alternative school by the parent, legal guardian or custodian of such child due to disciplinary problems.
  3. Any compulsory school age child referred to such alternative school program by the dispositive order of a chancellor or youth court judge, with the consent of the superintendent of the child's school district.

The alternative school program provides students an opportunity to continue their education in a more restrictive environment for a specified time period, until behavior requirements have been met.

High School Equivalency

The link below is for the High School Equivalency Program Application. If you are planning to include an HSE Program, please complete the application and submit through the by June 15, 2024.

For all School Districts that do not wish to have an HSE program for school year 2024.2025 Please complete the Intent Form and submit through email

Looking to retrieve a copy of your High School Equivalency Diploma or Transcript (formerly GED), CLICK HERE:

Frequently Asked Questions

Mississippi High School Equivalency Webpage

Mississippi Adult Education Services

Mississippi High School Equivalent Requirements

High School Equivalency (HSE) (formerly GED) Transcript Request

Alternative Education/High School Equivalency Program Listserv

If you would like to be added to the listserv, please send an email to