Mississippi Literacy-Based Promotion Initiative
The Office of Elementary Education and Reading is responsible for supporting and training K-3rd grade teachers, curriculum specialists and other educators by providing research-based instructional strategies on literacy and guidance on the implementation of the Literacy-Based Promotion Act. Passed during the 2013 legislative session, the Literacy-Based Promotion Act (LBPA) places an emphasis on grade-level reading skills, particularly as students’ progress through grades K-3. Beginning in the 2014-2015 school year, a student scoring at the lowest achievement level in reading on the established state-wide assessment for 3rd grade will not be promoted to 4th grade unless the student qualifies for a good cause exemption.
The LBPA was amended in 2016 and includes changes such as an Individual Reading Plan (IRP) and increased expectations for 3rd grade students beginning in 2018-2019.
Questions may be directed to Dr. Tenette Smith, Bureau Director for the Office of Elementary Education and Reading, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 601-359-2586. Questions may also be directed to the K-3 Assistant State Literacy Coordinators: Jill Hoda (email@example.com), Lori Stringer (firstname.lastname@example.org), or Kristen Wells (email@example.com).
Visit www.strongreadersms.com for the latest resources, activities and news about Mississippi's literacy campaign.
Tools and Supports
State Literacy Plan
Educators and Parents
- Professional Development and Resources for Teachers
- Resources for Administrators
- Literacy Research
- Resources for Parents
- IRP Guidance Webinar
- Kindergarten Integrated Centers for Literacy
- Universal Screener Companion Guide - Diagnostic Assessments
- LBPA FAQs (2019)
- Individual Reading Plan (IRP) FAQs
2018-2019 MDE Regional Literacy Trainings - Resources
- ABCs of Coaching Training Binder v3
- Tools for Literacy Training Binder (K-2)
- A Blueprint for Literacy Training Binder (3-5)
- A Blueprint for Literacy 2.0 Training Binder (Alternatives to Test Prep) (3-5)
- Rethink Literacy: Elevating Literacy Practices Training Binder (6-12)
- MDE MS Questar Writing Rubric Training (Webinar)
- MDE MS Questar Writing Rubric Presentation (PDF)
- MDE MS Questar Writing Rubric Training Resources
- Writing Tips
- Student Writing Samples with Annotations (3rd Grade)
Literacy Support Schools List
LBPA Implementation Studies
- Mississippi Turns Literacy-Based Promotion Act for Third Graders into Action (SECC, 2016)
- Educator Outcomes Associated with Implementation of Mississippi's K-3 Early Literacy Professional Development Initiative (Folsom, Smith, Burk, & Oakley, 2017)
- Mississippi's Literacy-Based Promotion Act: An Inside Look (RMC Research Corporation, 2019)