Mental Health & Wellness
Mental health is an important part of overall health and helps us grow, flourish, and build resilience. In order to foster a school climate and culture where students, and those who serve them, thrive, mental health must be prioritized.
It is the goal of the Mississippi Department of Education to support schools across the state in creating healthy learning environments. This page serves as a resource for improving mental health and well-being of stakeholders in the state.
- Returning to School: A Toolkit for Principals
- Mental Health Resources for K-12 Schools
- Supporting Child and Student Social, Emotional, Behavioral, and Mental Health Needs
- American Association of Suicidology: School Resources
- The Jed Foundation
Mental Health and Suicide Training Documents
- NEW! Mental Health Assurance Form
- Improving the Mental Health of Mississippi’s Children and Youth (Aug. 2022)
- Legislation – House Bill 263
- Legislation – House Bill 1283
- Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) Template
- School Mental Health Non-Crisis Referral Form
- Sample District Bullying Policy
- Sample Suicide Prevention Policy
- Training Power Point
- Certified Staff Training Link
- Classified Staff Training Link
- Procedure Template
The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is now: 988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline
The 988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline is a national network of more than 200 crisis centers that helps thousands of people overcome crisis situations every day. These centers are supported by local and state sources as well as the Department of Health and Human Services’ Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA).
The 988 Lifeline provides 24/7, confidential support to people in suicidal crisis or mental health-related distress. By calling or texting 988, you’ll connect to mental health professionals with the Lifeline network. Learn more here.
Social, Emotional, and Well-Being
- Social Emotional (SEL) Standards
- Tiered Approach to Teacher Well-Being
- SEL and Mental Health
- How We Feel – Adults
- Addressing Grief: Tips for Teachers and Administrators
- Coalition to Support Grieving Students
- Grief and Loss Resources for Educators and Students