For Immediate Release: April 30, 2019
JACKSON, Miss. – The Mississippi Department of Education’s Office of Elementary Education and Reading will host its fourth annual Literacy Coaching Symposium on June 4, 2019, in association with the 2019 Making Connections Conference at the Gulf Coast Coliseum and Convention Center in Biloxi. The symposium is a one-day pre-conference institute designed to provide a focused professional learning opportunity for K-12 literacy coaches, reading specialists, instructional coordinators, lead teachers, and administrators who work directly with teachers to support literacy instruction.
This event is designed to promote collaboration among instructional leaders and provide professional learning opportunities and resources to strengthen coaching capacity.
Interactive presentations include:
- Instructional Coaching Strategies to Improve Literacy Instruction and Student Achievement
- Instructional Practices to Develop Academic Language
- Writing to Improve Reading Comprehension
- Data-Based Decision Making and Best Practices for Interventions
- Early Childhood Language and Vocabulary School Readiness
- MAAP Writing Rubric Scoring Guide
- Fresh Takes on Strategies to Support English Learners
The symposium will conclude with a panel discussion highlighting multiple perspectives on ways to Level up for Literacy: Empowering Tomorrow’s Leaders.
To register for the fourth annual Literacy Coaching Symposium pre-conference institute and the 2019 Making Connections Conference, visit https://www.s-resa.org/mcc. A direct link to the Literacy Coaching Symposium is also available: http://sresa.msresaservices.com/categories-conferences/events-2019-mde-literacy-symposium-.
Patrice Guilfoyle, APR
Director of Communications
Jean Cook, APR
Director of Public Relations